I have to admit to looking for reasons to snuggle up in my warm bed on these cold winter mornings.
Thick socks and long pyjamas might not make me a man
magnet, but they sure do make for a happy cold frog. The sound of rain sprinkling on the roof is melodic and a more powerful sedative than an election speech. But what do you do when there are screaming children, beeping alarm clocks or ‘to do’ lists waiting for you? Why, come up with the perfect excuse of course!
Okay, you asked for it. Ten reasons to stay in bed:
1. I just need to find out what happens in the next chapter of the book I’m reading…
2. Plenty of health magazines declare the benefits of ‘getting enough rest’, so really I’m being health conscious, not lazy.
3. And while I’m on the subject of health… We all know how bad stress is for you and I just know I’m never going to make it to the end of my ‘to do’ list today, so why start?
4. After eight hours of think time, storming out of my bosses office yesterday doesn’t seem like such an impressive statement. If I stay in bed and close my eyes, I’m pretty sure it will go away.
5. Go on, be brave. Poke one arm out from under the quilt. Well done! You were right, it’s too damned cold. Now roll over, snuggle into that pillow and slumber like you deserve it.
6. It’s not staying in bed that’s the problem. The real hurdle is how to get the family to bring breakfast, lunch and dinner to me.
7. Actually, I’m doing the environment a favour by staying in bed. Helping the carbon deficit and all that — honest. Let’s think logically about this: I’m not using power; or driving a car; or buying take-away food. Wow, this green shit is exhausting.
8. Have you read a newspaper lately? Well it’s depressing, and if that isn’t enough, turn on the idiot box to see the same mayhem and destruction in colour. Great, now no-one will get out of bed tomorrow. Who the hell is going to bring me lunch?
9. Sleeping in is a bit like housework. No matter how often you do it, you’ll only have to do it again. So why not skip ahead and stay in bed.
10. But my absolute favourite reason for staying in bed? There’s a naked man in here who isn’t opposed to neck-to-knees!
So, what is your favourite winter activity? Drop me a line and let me know. Or share your perfect sleep-in excuse.
Don't forget to subscribe to my RSS Feed, Face Book and Twitter.